Participation in all Maine Adaptive programs is subject to review and evaluation by Maine Adaptive staff. All lessons are free of charge and are by appointment.
Guidelines for Participation
To participate in Maine Adaptive programming, an individual must:
- Have a physical disability
- Be 4 years or older (participants ages 4 & 5 will be scheduled for half day lessons)
- Be seizure free for three months and controlled with medication
- Understand that he/she is participating in Maine Adaptive Sports & Recreation
- Be able to actively participate in their chosen sport
- Provide necessary supervision and assistance for all non-lesson time
- Be under 200 pounds if using sit-down equipment
Participation for individuals with non-physical disabilities
For winter programming, if a person has a disability that does not meet the above requirements for a physical disability, Maine Adaptive will teach up to 3 lessons with a family member participating in the final lesson.
The participant must have tried other ski schools without success, including private lessons, and must meet all the other requirements listed above.
Maine Adaptive welcomes group participation. Group size may be limited by equipment and lesson availabilty.
Guidelines for group participation:
- All group members must meet criteria for participation (see above)
- Groups must provide at least one person to be available as a contact person and for all non-lesson time supervision
- Participants who wish to pursue involvement beyond group instruction are able to schedule further lessons on an individual basis
Transportation to all activities is ultimately the responsibility of the participant. However, Maine Adaptive Sports & Recreation does run a bus weekly in the winter from Portland to Sunday River. Sign up when you register for lessons.
The ultimate goal of Maine Adaptive is to get individuals active, so they can enjoy sports with their family and friends independently.
Questions about getting involved:
Brandon Merry, Program Coordinator
800-639-7770 or 207-824-2440 ext 1107