About Maine Adaptive
At Maine Adaptive we believe that having access to and participating in recreational sports is integral to a well-rounded life for every person.
Maine Adaptive is the largest year-round adaptive recreation program in the state of Maine for adults and children with physical disabilities. Over 400 volunteers assist our athletes in appreciating the joys and challenges of sports participation.
Maine Adaptive provides over 3500 lessons winter and summer, free of charge, thanks to the generous support of individuals, businesses, corporations and foundations that sustain our program every year.
The foundation of Maine Adaptive is our dedicated and passionate volunteers who donate their time and expertise 3300 days annually instructing in all levels of sport.
Maine Adaptive offers winter lessons at some of Maine’s finest ski resorts:
- Alpine skiing and snowboarding – Sunday River Ski Resort, Sugarloaf, Black Mtn of Maine and the Camden Snow Bowl
- Nordic skiing and snowshoeing – Bethel Nordic Ski Center, Pineland Farms and the Nordic Heritage Center
Maine Adaptive offers summer lessons in southern and central Maine:
- Cycling – Back Cove in Portland
- Golf – Toddy Brook Golf Course, Bethel Inn Resort, and Maple Lane
- Paddling – Range Ponds State Park, Sebasco Estates and the Androscoggin River in Bethel
- Fishing – Fly Fishing lessons at Pineland Farms and Ocean Fishing in Casco Bay
- Hiking – Easy to moderate hikes around southern Maine
- Wheelchair Tennis- Drills and match play at Pineland Farms
Maine Adaptive Sports & Recreation is a chapter of Disabled Sports/USA, a non profit organization offering nationwide sports rehabilitation programs to anyone with a permanent disability.
Maine Adaptive is a member of the Professional Ski Instructors of America, a non profit organization dedicated to reaching the highest levels of performance within the snow sports industry. Many Maine Adaptive volunteers have taken PSIA certifications in skiing, snowboarding, and adaptive skiing.
Maine Adaptive is a Bronze Level Paralympic Sport Club of US Paralympics, a division of the United States Olympic Committee. Paralympic Sport Clubs are community-based programs developed to involve youth and adults with physical and visual disabilities in sports and physical activity, regardless of skill level.